The community name was changed to Crown Point, the highest point in Lake County. Our editors will review what you submitted and determine if they should review the article. Crown Point, city (municipality), Essex County, northeastern New York, United States. Putnam Creek, named after the general of the American Revolutionary War, Israel Putnam, crosses the city, which includes the villages of Crown Point, Crown Point Center and Ironville.
In 1609, the French explorer Samuel de Champlain fought there against the Indians of the Iroquois Confederacy and the enmity between the Iroquois and the French began. Later, Dutch and English merchants traveled around the area. In 1731, the French built a stone fort (Fort-Saint-Frédéric) on the peninsula, which they named Point à la Couronne (Crown Point). Despite the English colonial expeditions sent against it, Crown Point remained in French hands until 1759, when it was occupied by forces commanded by Sir Jeffrey (later Lord) Amherst.
Construction began near Fort-Saint-Frédéric of a larger fort, which was garrisoned but never completed. At the outbreak of the American Revolution, the fort was captured by Colonel Seth Warner and a force of Green Mountain Boys. It remained in American hands except for a brief period in 1777, when it was occupied by a detachment of the invading British Army of General John Burgoyne. Ruined forts now constitute a state historic site.
The Champlain Memorial Lighthouse (1911-1) is 12 km (7.5 miles) northeast of the city. Called The Crown Point Road, it was built during the French and Indian War after the defeat of French forces by England at forts Carrilon and St. Commanding General Jeffrey Amherst, who wanted to continue the campaign in Canada, desperately needed new troops and supplies. Because the supply route established from the Atlantic ports through Albany and Lake George was long and difficult, Amherst needed a more direct route.
For centuries, Native Americans had followed waterways that ran from Canada to the coast. One of the busiest routes connected Lake Champlain and the Connecticut River following Otter Creek and the Black River. By a stroke of luck, this trail led directly from Amherst's strategic position in Crown Point, New York, to an important military outpost, Fort No. The construction of the road was primitive, but it served its purpose throughout the rest of the French and Indian War.
During the American Revolution, colonial militias, schooled by the British during the previous war, turned the tables and used the road for their own benefit, contributing to the British defeat, with the arrival of peace, perhaps the greatest contribution of Crown Point Road to the history of Vermont was as a conduit for the large influx of settlers who turned to (then) New Hampshire grants to establish cities and houses. Nowadays, it is possible to walk or drive a car on the many remaining stretches of this ancient highway, unique in the history of the United States. On many of these markers, an arrow engraved at the top indicates the general direction of the Crown Point road. Three of the most famous horses, Pink, Billy and Jeff, survived the war, returned to Crown Point and are buried there.
With the advent of peace, perhaps Crown Point Road's greatest contribution to Vermont's history was as a conduit for the large influx of settlers who turned to (then) New Hampshire grants to establish cities and farms. On May 23, 1775, Fort Crown Point was the meeting place for Ethan Allen, the Green Mountain Boys, Benedict Arnold and his small American Navy. The Crown Point marriage factory opened another hole in the public hall of fame on Wednesday afternoon when Rudolph Valentino and Miss Winifred DeWolfe, with a group of friends from New York and Chicago, traveled to the famous Gretna Green and married Justice of the Peace Howard Kemp. Around the same time, Quebec had fallen into the hands of General Wolfe and Amherst took the opportunity to rest at Crown Point, on the site of Fort Saint Frederic, which had been blown up by the retreating French.
In the fall of 1776, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Hartley and the 6th Regiment of Pennsylvania heard the sounds of the naval confrontation on Valcour Island from their entrenchments at Crown Point. Vermonters began creating a permanent settlement in what would become present-day Crown Point in 1800, when Stephen Spaulding and his brothers arrived in the area on an exploration expedition. After the marriage, the news reached the world press and, once again, Crown Point became the center of attention because it was the scene of the marriage of famous people. The following year, the Lake Champlain Canal opened and Crown Point was on the brink of a great iron age.
Until Arnold's squad was severely defeated at the Battle of Valcour Island in October, the last U.S. troops did not leave Crown Point to occupy Mount Independence, overlooking Fort Ticonderoga. These signs were placed on busy roads at points where the roads intersected with Crown Point Road or at points as close as possible to Crown Point Road. Believed to be Indiana's first major auto race, the Cobe Cup remains an annual event for Crown Point, Indiana.