The community name was changed to Crown Point, the highest point in Lake County. PIONEER SETTLERS, THEIR HOMES AND HABITS, THEIR DESCENDANTS AND THEIR INFLUENCE. President of the Former Settlers Association. REMINISCENCES OF EAGLE CREEK BY MRS.
In this same part of the county there are five other small forests that do not bear any particular name. These may be called Hamilton Grove, south of Plum Grove, in Kenney Place; Mrs. Dinwiddie's Grove, just east of his house, which covers about fifteen or twenty acres, contains a large number of thrifty hickory trees that, like the trees in Orchard Grove, produced a large amount of nuts this year. This forest formed an excellent refuge from the west and windbreak for Isaac Bryant's residence, which made it a chosen construction site; Oscar Dinwiddie's small grove; Nichols Grove, just east of Mrs.
McCann's, and also extends to the north, including part of the land of S. Hogan, some of the echoes of this forest full of lush hazel bushes; and the small and beautiful Kenney Grove, northwest of G. The soil in all these small forests is quite deep and rich, and the growth, of course, is thrifty and lush. Of what is here called Nichols Grove, because largely in the land of M.
Nichols, a private lane extends south, with a fence on one side and black walnut trees and then a fence on the other side, on Mrs. Nichols's land. Dinwiddie, whose shady avenue forms an enchanting walk in summer. The writer has enjoyed this bleak, withdrawn and tilted path on many bright mornings in recent years.
The view to the south is enchanting and extends to the blue groves of the Kankakee Islands. Marriages One of Crown Point's most endearing events, the Marriage Mill, perpetuates the city's romantic heritage. In 1877, Christopher Binyon bought the Graytown property and erected buildings to house visitors and guests, but another newspaper, Cedar Lake, as a recreational resort, has given an account of this new way of life; and we just have to add here that now bohemian and German families, some of them large apejarucos, have opened farms in the forest that extend a few kilometers northeast to Crown Point. Three of the most famous horses, Pink, Billy and Jeff, survived the war, returned to Crown Point and are buried there.
Never have three Crown Point pastors worked as united and zealously for literary culture as the three mentioned above. Believed to be Indiana's first major auto race, the Cobe Cup remains an annual event for Crown Point, Indiana. By 1873, a railroad linked the Hammondville and Irondale iron centers at Crown Point with the north and south railroad lines. Because Crown Point did not have a waiting period to obtain marriage licenses, the city became a popular place to get married and became known as Marriage Mill.
Vermonters began creating a permanent settlement in what would become present-day Crown Point in 1800, when Stephen Spaulding and his brothers arrived in the area on an exploration expedition. After the marriage, the news reached the world press and, once again, Crown Point became the center of attention because it was the scene of the marriage of famous people. As a result, there are now a large number of pianos and organs, some guitars and several other instruments in the city, a choir, a marching band, the Crown Point Singverein and many amateur artists. In total, thirty-eight additions, two of which have been left unoccupied, leaving thirty-six additions for the original town of Crown Point in forty-four years.
It appears from the above list that, while Crown Point is not Chicago, it doesn't even claim to have become a city, it has achieved fair growth and, without industrial interests, has as its railroad county seat sufficient commercial facilities for a healthy and slow-growing city. Despite the English colonial expeditions sent against it, Crown Point remained in French hands until 1759, when it was occupied by forces commanded by Sir Jeffrey (later Lord) Amherst. Solon Robinson and his family settled in the wooden part that is now part of Crown Point, and should be given the honor of being the first settler in Crown Point, and the second only in the central part of the county, and since then the pioneers moved and became settlers. Addition, 1872, Pelton's Addition, 1872, Lake View, 1873, Spring Lake, Fair Ground, Rolling View, Foster's Each 1873, Burge's, 1874, Turner Addition of Outlots, 1874, Pratt %26 Ruschli's, 1875, Hughes 2nd 1875, Crown Point Cemetery, 1872, Wolfe's, 1876, (now unoccupied), J.
Crown Point was an industrialized community with luxury homes, lawyers, doctors, stores and an academy for teacher training, when the Civil War took hold of the country. . .